Dr. Arun Kumar Sharma is a Specialist Neurologist with over 30 years’ experience. Dr. Arun Sharma is trained and certified in Neuro-Electrophysiology from Nicolet Inc. Madison, Wisconsin, USA. He has published several research papers in the most widely read and peer-reviewed world class Neurology journals on the esoteric topics, like “Effects of Protein-energy Malnutrition on the Nervous System”, ”Shy-Drager Syndrome”, as well as on areas of common interest like Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy, Multiple Sclerosis, Parkinson’s Disease. He has also co-authored “Text Book of Neurological Disorders in Internal Medicine”, published by Springer-Verlag, New York. Dr Sharma has delivered over a hundred presentations in various international and national conferences, as well as CME lectures. He was awarded E. Merck Gold Medal for the best original research paper on “Shy Drager Syndrome” at World Congress of Neurology held in Montreal.
MD (Internal Medicine), DM (Neurology), PhD (Neurology), Post Graduate Institute of Medical Education and Research (PGIMER), Chandigarh, India, FRSM (UK)
English, Punjabi, Hindi, Telugu (all fluently), French (a smattering)
Prior to coming to UAE in 1997, he held the position of Assistant Professor of Neurology at the prestigious PGIMER, Chandigarh, India. Then he was invited to UAE to become the founder and chair of the Department of Neurology and Neurophysiology at Al Zahra Hospital, Sharjah, and Al Zahra Medical Centre, Dubai.
Areas of Expertise:
- Headaches of various types including Migraine, Cluster headache, Tension type headache, Occipital neuralgia
- Facial pains, e.g. Trigeminal neuralgia
- Chronic pain disorders, like Fibromyalgia and Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Multiple sclerosis and Optic neuritis
- Neck and Back pain, and other spinal cord disorders
- Walking and balance disorders
- Neurological disorders related to systemic diseases like Diabetes, Hypertension, SLE, Rheumatoid arthritis, Sarcoidosis
- Fainting spells, dizziness, and vertigo
- Weakness and numbness in any part of body
- Tremor, ticks, dystonia, and other movement disorders
- Parkinson’s disease
- Autism spectrum disorders and attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD)
- Forgetfulness, memory impairment and dementias like Alzheimer’s Disease
- Clinical depression, general anxiety and sleep disorders
- Muscle diseases like various Myopathies and Polymyositis
- Myasthenia gravis
- Neuropathy of myriad types
- Disorders of speech acquisition and impairment of acquired speech
- Catastrophic neurological emergencies: Stroke, Brain Haemorrhage, Sustained seizures, meningitis, encephalitis, and coma
- Brain tumours like Pituitary adenoma
- Therapy for Chronic Intractable Migraine, Writer’s cramp, Hemifacial spasm, Blepharospasm, Oromandibular Dystonia, spasmodic torticollis
Available investigative facilities:
- A fully-equipped, purpose-built, state-of-the-art Neuro-electrophysiology Laboratory, capable of performing routine Electromyography, Nerve Conduction Studies, evoked potentials, including somatosensory, visual and brainstem auditory evoked potentials, Electroretinography, Single-fiber EMG, Video-Electroencephalogram, with spike detection analysis, and Brain Mapping.
- 3-Tesla MRI machine
- All the conventional and sophisticated neurologically relevant blood tests, including DNA analysis.
Dr. Arun Kumar Sharma is the best Neurologist in Dubai.